Confessions, Realizations, Revelations, Declarations, Acknowledgments, Statements, Confirmations, Recognitions, Stories, Proclamations, Admissions, or just plain Utterance. Whatever you want to call it; this is a place for me to share thoughts my mind is dwelling on. I hope these will be a blessing to your life and to mine!







Thursday, June 17, 2010

Abba, Father, Daddy...

I absolutely love this song. I heard it on KLOVE the other day and HAD to post it!

The topic I'm discussing today is Father's. What is their role? What does "dad" even mean? What are they there for? What are they responsible and not responsible for?

I was at the dentist when the pregnant dental assistant was telling me all about how nobody understands that just because you have a biological father doesn't mean that he is your real dad and so on and so forth. This spurred my mind into gear into thinking... what is it that makes a "Father" become a "Dad" ?

For the last semester I have been praying for God to reveal to me the whole "God the Father" role because I just don't get it. I don't think it's because my Dad was bad or anything like that. I just don't get it...

So far, this is what he has revealed to me through close friends, mentors, my own parents, my sister and brother-in-law, my cute nephew, the love of my life, the bible, and of course the holy spirit! :)

Jesus always prayed to God "The Father..." Only one prayer (the one on the cross) was not prayed to God as the father. The whole father relationship between God and us is KEY in my opinion and let me tell you it is quite frustrating when you don't understand. So the first place we will look is scripture...

"Yet, O Lord, You are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hands." Isaiah 64:8

So we know that God the father molds us and makes us into who he wants us to be. But how does he do this? So, let's search some more...

"When you pray, go to your room and shut the door; pray to the Father who is unseen. Then, your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you!" Matthew 6:6

Seems to me as if God is kind of like our earthly fathers in a sense because it's like he wants us to be honest with me. See, when we are in our rooms, alone, praying we pray some of the most honest, earnest, and passionate prayers of our lives. When we pray in front of others a lot of times we pray for things we are supposed to pray for or put on a show to see who is the best "prayer warrior" of the group. (Not that praying in groups is bad... it definately has benefits (acts)). But I know that when I talk to my own father earnestly and just cry out to him with an honest and open heart, he is more willing to be gracious, more willing to forgive, more willing to see deep into my deepest desires, more willing to BLESS ME for my honesty.

"Our Father who are in Heaven; hallowed be thy name." Matthew 6:9

Hallowed litterally means sacred, blessed, sanctified, and holy. God is a father who as pure intentions and motives. A purity and innocence of heart and mind that we cannot even fathom. So respected and so honored. Not only is God supposed to be honored and revered but our earthly fathers are to be honored and revered as well. In Galatians it talks about how Women should love our Husbands like we love the Lord. With respect, reverence, and submissiveness. But that isn't all it says, it also says that Husbands should love their Wives like God loves the church; which is sacrificially, unconditionally, forgiving, peacefully, provision. and many other things.

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matthew 6:26

"If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:11

I love this picture of God the Father because it shows his provision and how God literally finds JOY in making us happy even though we are evil. I do not have children of my own yet but I do have one stinkin' cute nephew and I know that when I have money or the opportunity to buy things for that cute lil thing... nothing in the world feels better than to make him happy. Seeing him laugh and smile, nothing could warm my heart faster.

Not just that but also watching Ashley and Reid care for him. Caeden is one strong-willed child (from both his mom and his aunt ariel)... lol... and nothing reminds me more of us and God than when Ashley and Reid try to help Caeden with a toy, or help him walk, or stand up and he just wants to run. He also thinks he knows what is best for himself and ends up falling down and crying... waiting on his mommy and daddy to come save him. That is how we are with God! We often times think we know what is best for ourselves and our lives but sometimes God is just sitting there with loving eyes, waiting for us to say, "Okay, Okay... I need your help!" Just as much as Ashley and Reid know what Caeden needs... our Father in Heaven knows how to give good gifts! He knows how to give us what we need and desire! He finds joy in making us happy! We need to trust in him, his sovereignty, and his provision!

"At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." Matthew 11:25

The way I have seen my own Father work is this... If you have a humble and accepting heart, he will reveal secrets, stories, and advice to you because he knows that you will take it seriously by following it or pondering it. Whereas, a child who is a "know-it-all" or prideful will often stomp all over the valuable information with arrogant feet because of their "knowledge" or "pride". God is the same with us. The more humble, open, innocent, needy, clingy, trusting, and patient we are with him... the quicker he will reveal things to us!

"Be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:48

"Be merciful as your Heavenly Father is merciful." Luke 6:36

What is so interesting about these two verses is that they are both concluding the first chapters of the sermon on the mount. The are supposed to be the same sentence. But Luke puts more practicality on it if you will. The word "perfect" is translated "mature." Which is interesting because a huge part of watching my the "fathers" around me is how mercy and maturity often go hand-in-hand. Mercy is part of maturity! A major piece if not the whole thing!

"But an hour is coming and has already come, when the true worshipers will adore the Father in spirit and in truth; for such people the father seeks to be his worshipers." John 4:23

I love this verse because it equates worship with adoration of God. I find that loving God is more than just religion... it's more like falling in love, a marriage, a committment, a romance, an infatuation, being captivated by his Love. Adoring God the Father is how you Worship God. Interesting!

Anyway... this post is getting really long. So I am stopping here, but this "Daddy Talk" will be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment